History

History of Heathlands

The land for Blofield Heath's recreation ground was given to the village in 1924 by the Harker  family of Blofield Hall.  In

1929 a wooden building was built to serve as the village hall and used  by various village organisations - villagers always

called it 'The Hut'.    The recreation ground  served as a school playing field until

1960.  In the early  1960's due to changes in planning legislation significant

numbers of new houses  were built in Blofield Heath and it became clear  that

'The Hut' would no longer be adequate for  the community.    In 1965, with the

late Colin Foulkes as its chairman, the Recreation Ground Committee called a 

general meeting and put forward proposals for a new Community Centre

building.   At that  moment there was £15.00 spare cash in the hall funds and the

cost of the new building was  guess work.     It was decided on a phased plan of

building a new community centre beginning with kitchen,  toilets, committee

room and finally a new hall.  The committee began the lengthy process of 

planning, applying for grants and major fund raising within the village.  Blofield Heath

resident Keith Darby was the architect and building work was done by another  local

resident Donny Cushion. The first phase of building was started in 1967.  Starting in

1972 the new monthly village newsletter  'Focal Point' was used to publicise fund 

raising events including fetes, the tote monthly cash draw, bingo and  a large

Christmas raffle.    An appeal was also made for interest free loans from residents    In

June 1973 Ken Pink, now chairman of the hall committee, said the cost of the new hall

was   £11,000., of that amount £1,500. still needed to be raised by the village and it 

was antipated  work would start later that year.  At this time the late Ken Bedson was

the secretary of the hall  committee and it was his suggestion the hall should be

named Heathlands.  The new hall was completed  and officially opened on 5th April 1975 by  Sir Edmund Bacon,  the Lord

Lieutenant of Norfolk..

© Heathlands Community Centre and Social Club. Registered charity No 303909
History

History of Heathlands

The land for Blofield Heath's recreation ground was given to the village in 1924 by

the Harker  family of Blofield Hall.  In 1929 a wooden building was built to serve as

the village hall and used  by various village

organisations - villagers always called it 'The

Hut'.    The recreation ground  served as a

school playing field until 1960.  In the early 

1960's due to changes in planning legislation

significant numbers of new houses  were built

in Blofield Heath and it became clear  that

'The Hut' would no longer be adequate for 

the community.    In 1965, with the late Colin

Foulkes as its chairman, the Recreation

Ground Committee called a  general meeting and put forward proposals for a new

Community Centre building.   At that  moment there was £15.00 spare cash in the

hall funds and the cost of the new building was  guess work.     It was decided on a

phased plan of building a new community centre beginning with kitchen,  toilets,

committee room and finally a new hall.  The committee began the lengthy process

of  planning, applying for grants and major fund raising within the village.  Blofield

Heath resident Keith Darby was the architect and building work was done by

another  local resident Donny Cushion. The first phase of building was started in

1967.  Starting in 1972 the new monthly village newsletter  'Focal Point' was used to

publicise fund  raising events including fetes, the tote monthly cash draw, bingo and 

a large Christmas raffle.    An appeal was also made for interest free loans from

residents    In June 1973 Ken Pink, now

chairman of the hall committee, said the cost

of the new hall was   £11,000., of that

amount £1,500. still needed to be raised by

the village and it  was antipated  work would

start later that year.  At this time the late Ken

Bedson was the secretary of the hall 

committee and it was his suggestion the hall

should be named Heathlands.  The new hall

was completed  and officially opened on 5th

April 1975 by  Sir Edmund Bacon,  the Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk..

© Heathlands Community Centre and Social Club. Registered charity No 30390